Around the World
They have faith in us
Have your say
Who's onlineWe have 12 guests online
Still countingContent View Hits : 243420
Indepth Research Services (IRES) -Training and Professional Consulting in GIS, Remote Sensing, and Emerging Technologies
- Use of GIS and Remote Sensing in Food Security Analysis
- 27.02.2012 - 02.03.2012
- Sportsview Hotel Kasarani - Nairobi
- International Trainings
Food security is defined as "when all people at all times have both physical and economic access to sufficient food to meet their dietary needs for a productive and healthy life". This definition further notes that three distinct variables are central to the attainment of food security: availability, access, and utilization. These variables are interrelated.
The main purpose of the course is to enhance the capabilities of technical staff involved in Food Security Analysis by providing them with an understanding on the use of spatial and Earth Observation (EO) information as a complimentary tool in Food Security Analysis.
Participants acquire hands-on skills in application of geographical information system (GIS) and Remote Sensing (RS) in Food Security Analysis, and learn to work with, aerial photographs, satellite images and digital maps that are the key to a better understanding of Food (In) Security Scenarios. This leads to better informed decision making, whether it is at the community, provincial, national, NGO, private sector enterprise or public sector institutions.
By completing this course, participants will be able to:
- Understand the basic concepts of GIS and Remote Sensing
- Understand concepts and main frameworks in Food Security Analysis
- Understand the spatial data requirements in Food Security Analysis
- Apply GIS and Remote Sensing as complimentary tools for Food Security Analysis
- Use GIS information in planning FS interventions through spatial multi-criteria analysis
- Assess spatial data availability and understand the importance of spatial data infrastructure (SDI), for data sharing by organizations involved in FS
- Apply GIS and RS for designing implementations of large scale early warning systems
- Use participatory GIS (PGIS) tools during assessments at community level
- Apply remote sensing data and image processing techniques to monitor select FS indicators
- Integrate use of NDVI, VPI and DMP, RFE and other satellite products for FS indicators monitoring
- Spatial Data Infrastructure (SDI) for data sharing by organizations involved in FS Analysis
- Use mobile phones to gather data during field assessments/surveys by designing and using mobile data gathering systems using Open Data Kit and Nokia Data Gathering platforms
- Design and implement their own GIS projects that integrate remote sensing data, GPS-based field information, and FS Frameworks and analysis in a proper geospatial and cartographic framework
For whom is the training relevant:
The training is targeted at professionals who require knowledge and skills on the use of GIS and Remote Sensing in their organizations in the field of Food Security Analysis.
The training is designed for participants with a reasonable reading and understanding skills in English, knowledge of Food Security Analysis systems and a basic working knowledge of GIS and Remote Sensing technologies.
- Introduction to GIS and Remote Sensing
- Food Security Concepts and Frameworks
- Communicating Food Security Situations with GIS and Remote Sensing
- Comprehensive Food Security Assessment and Analysis with Geodata (Nutrition, Market, Livelihood, HH, Vulnerability and Baseline)
- Population targeting with GIS and RS
- Food Security Early warning systems and drought monitoring
- Food Security Systems and Networks
- Reporting Food Security Information using GIS
- Down scaling and interpreting Remote Sensing Information
- Spatial Data Infrastructure for FSA
- Mobile Data Gathering for field assessments/Surveys using Open Data Kit and Nokia Data Gathering
- Guided Exercises and Field tours
The training will be facilitated by experienced GIS, Remote Sensing and FS Analysts, with many years of experience working with reknown organizations in FS Analysis.
Software vendors, academic institutions and other leading agencies in FS Analysis, GIS and Remote Sensing in the region will also make presentations.
The training is not aimed at any specific GIS and Remote Sensing software products, but will provide a practical, hands-on GIS problem solving, by making use of Free Open Source and commercial GIS Software such as ArcGIS, Quantum GIS, ILWIS,PCRaster, Google Earth, Google MapMaker and Open Data Kit (ODK).
Language of Instruction:
All facilitation and course materials will be offered in English. Participants must be fully conversant with English.
Training Venue and Accommodation:
The training is residential, and will be held at Sportsview Hotel, Kasarani. Applicants are highly encouraged to stay at the hotel where the training is held. The rooms’ rate is approximately US$ 50 per day. Note this is a negotiated rate between IRES and the Hotel management.
- Alternative I: with accommodation: KES 109,499 or US$ 1,399, Exclusive of VAT (Add 16%)
- Alternative II: without accommodation: KES 79,499, or US$ 1,099, Exclusive of VAT (Add 16%)
The standard training fee of KES 109,499 or US$1,399 covers the course tuition, training materials, accommodation (6), breakfast (5), two break refreshments and lunch everyday during the training, study visits and all dinners.
Participants will cater for their own travel expenses, visa application, insurance, and other personal expenses.
Participants who wish to seek own accommodation can choose course fee Alternative II of KES 79,499 or US$1,099; Exclusive of VAT (16%), this will only cover for course tuition, training materials and study visits.
In cases where a participant is unable to attend, a substitute applicant is welcome to attend in their place, provided the participation criteria described above have been met. Cancellation of attendance should be notified at least 3 weeks prior to course commencement; in which case, a full refund less 15% of course fee for banking charges and administrative costs will be made. No refunds are available for cancellation within a period less than 3 weeks prior to course commencement.
How to Apply:
To apply for this training kindly register online in our website before C.O.B. 13th February 2012.
Please Note: The program content shown here is for guidance purposes only. Our continuous course improvement process may lead to changes in topics and course structure.
- Sportsview Hotel Kasarani
EventList powered by schlu.net