Around the World
They have faith in us
Have your say
Who's onlineWe have 26 guests online
Still countingContent View Hits : 324056
Indepth Research Services (IRES) -Training and Professional Consulting in GIS, Remote Sensing, and Emerging Technologies
- Processing and Analysis of Data for Surveys/Assessments (Methodology and Software)
- 23.04.2012 - 27.04.2012
- Sportsview Hotel Kasarani - Nairobi
- International Trainings
4TH INTERNATIONAL SERIES
WHY THIS TRAINING
Current practices in resource mobilization within public, private sectors and Non Governmental Organizations (NGOs) have put a lot of emphasis on the need to peg planning and allocation of resources to evidence-based research. This has led to increased funding to research initiatives that include a variety of baseline surveys, Socio-Economic Surveys, Demographic and Health Surveys, Nutrition Surveys, Food Security Surveys, Program Evaluation Surveys, Employees, customers and vendor satisfaction surveys, and opinion polls among others.
Although there has been an attempt to make the findings as representative as possible, the level of skills in those in charge of conducting these surveys has to a great extent been inadequate and this has compromised the quality and integrity of the data collected and consequently, the reports derived from such studies.
In other instances, there have been obvious technological gaps in the types of tools used; making the process to be both tedious and unduly delayed, such that the release of results is surpassed by need.
This is therefore a five days hands-on course that is tailored to address these challenges to a considerable extent. It is also meant to improve the way organizations store their data and enable data sharing without putting the confidentiality of respondents and data providers into jeopardy.
It is envisioned that upon completion, the participants will be empowered with the necessary skills to produce accurate and cost effective data and reports.
FOR WHOM IS THE TRAINING RELEVANT
This course is designed for participants with basic statistics knowledge, who desire to acquire hands-on skills in planning and executing surveys, data processing and analysis of survey data. It endeavours to impact participants with adequate modern skills and technologies in conducting surveys and producing accurate and timely results.
The course is intended for professional practicing as Statisticians, Economists, Researchers, Nutritionists, Financial Analysts, Monitoring and Evaluation Specialists, Logisticians, planners, Data Analysts and Data Managers, Information Systems Managers, GIS and Remote Sensing Practitioners and other disciplines in Social and Physical Sciences. Participants who want to broaden their knowledge in conducting surveys may also apply.
The training is designed for participants who are reasonably proficient in English. It is an advantage, but not a prerequisite, that the participants have prior knowledge in data processing and analysis. Applicants must live up to Indepth Research Services (IRES) admission criteria.
The class size is limited to 10 participants to ensure that each participants has the opportunity to interact with the facilitator. The training may be cancelled if there are less than five participants.
At the end of this course participants should be able to:-
- Understand and appropriately use statistical terms and concepts
- Design universally acceptable questionnaires
- Design computer aided data capture screens using CSPRO and Ms Excel
- Convert data into various formats using appropriate software
- Perform complex data manipulation using Ms Excel
- Perform basic data analysis tasks with SPSS and STATA
- Write short VBA programs to automate regular tasks
- Perform simple to complex statistical analysis using SPSS and STATA
- Correctly identify appropriate statistical test for basic analysis s and perform them using SPSS and STATA
- Use GPS receivers to collect coordinates for location based data
- Use Google Doc and Google maps to collaborate and sharing information
- Use mobile data gathering tools such as Nokia Data Gathering and Google's Open Data Kit (ODK)
- Use GIS software to plot and display data on basic maps
Module One: Basic Concepts
Review of basic statistical terms and concepts
- Descriptive Statistics
- Measure of Central tendency
- Measures of Dispersion
- Frequency Distribution
- Qualitative and Quantitative Research
Module Two: Survey Planning, and Execution
- Research Questions and Questionnaire Design
- Data collection methods
- Tabulation and analysis plan
- Advanced Excel I(Statistical Functions)
- Advanced Excel II (Data Analysis Toolkit)
- Data collection and management
- Data preparation
- File structure and datasets for tabulation and analysis
Data Processing Systems Options
- Emerging methods:
- Mobile Data Gathering (Android Open Data Kit)
- SMS Surveys
- Online Surveys
Geospatial Data Handling
- Introduction to GIS and GPS
- Collaborative intelligence: Google Maps and Docs
Module Three: Introduction to Statistical Software
- SPSS Basic Commands
- STATA Basic Commands
Module Four: Statistical Hypothesis test, and methods
Statistical Inference Foundations (Concept only)
Statistical Hypotheses testing
- Hypothesis Tests
- Decision Errors
- Decision Rules
- One-Tailed and Two-Tailed Tests
- Software options for different steps of Hypothesis Tests (SPSS)
Statistical Methods and Tests (With either of the Software)
- Paired T-test
- Chi-Square Test
- Repeated Measures ANOVA
- Factor Analysis
- Cluster Analysis
- Linear Regression
- Mann-Whitney test
- Kruskal-Wallis test
- Wilcoxon Signed-Ranks test
- McNemar's Test
- Friedman's Test
Module Five: Introduction to Advanced Statistical Analysis
- SPSS: Building Syntax Files
- STATA: Building Do Files
- Advanced Excel II (Advanced Statistical Functions, Macros and VBA Projects)
Module Six: Emerging Issues
The instructor led trainings are delivered using a blended learning approach and comprises of presentations, guided sessions of practical exercise, web based tutorials, group work and study visits. Our facilitators are seasoned industry experts with years of experience, working as professional and trainers in these fields.
LANGUAGE OF INSTRUCTION
All facilitation and course materials will be offered in English. The participants should be reasonably proficient in English.
Upon successful completion of this training, participants will be issued with an Indepth Research Services (IRES) certificate.
TRAINING VENUE AND ACCOMMODATION
The training is residential, and will be held at Sportsview Hotel, Kasarani. Applicants are highly encouraged to stay at the hotel where the training is held. The roomsâ€™ rate is approximately US$ 50 per day. Note this is a negotiated rate between IRES and the Hotel management.
- Alternative I: with accommodation: KES 109,499 or US$ 1,399, Exclusive of VAT (Add 16%)
- Alternative II: without accommodation: KES 79,499, or US$ 1,099, Exclusive of VAT (Add 16%)
The standard course fee of KES 109,499 or US$1,399 covers the course tuition, training materials, accommodation (6), breakfast (5), two break refreshments and lunch everyday during the training, study visits and all dinners. Participants will cater for their own travel expenses, visa application, insurance, and other personal expenses. Participants who wish to seek own accommodation can choose course fee Alternative II of KES 79,499 or US$1,099; Exclusive of VAT (16%), this will only cover for course tuition, training materials and study visits.
HOW TO APPLY
Payment for the all courses includes a registration fee, which is non-refundable, and equals 15% of the total sum of the course fee.
- Participants may cancel attendance 14 days or more prior to the training commencement date.
- No refunds will be made 14 days or less to the training commencement date. However, participants who are unable to attend may opt to attend a similar training at a later date, or send a substitute participant provided the participation criteria have been met.
Please Note: The program content shown here is for guidance purposes only. Our continuous course improvement process may lead to changes in topics and course structure.
- Sportsview Hotel Kasarani
EventList powered by schlu.net